Monday, August 2, 2010

The cupcake that inspired it all...

     So recently I have become obsessed with looking at, baking and eating cupcakes. Tonight I made my first cupcake from scratch and I was so inspired that I started this blog.
     The cooking adventure started out with me running to the grocery store to get applesauce, cardamom, and soy milk. NO. I am not a vegan, but I love to make my vegan friend, Coda, vegan cupcakes. The adventure then turned into an emergency recovery as I fell up the stairs to my house and bruised my knees and arms.
Artist's (Robert Jessup) rendering of my fall (sans shirt and pants)

     Then, while my Ropa Vieja (the most awesome dish I have ever made) was simmering, I made the cupcakes. The injuries were not over though as I caught my fingers in the whisk, while I started the mixer. I am not kidding, my fingers got tangled and I am surprised that one of them didn't fall into the cupcake batter. Gross, I know...anyway, I am being honest here.
Demonstration of injury: Imagine the drama
     Everything was going well up to this point  (food wise) and I had to make a Chai spice mix for this recipe and I realized that I had whole cloves, instead of what I needed, ground cloves. I proceeded to grind my cloves in my awesome food processor. All was well, until the cloves began to smoke like a pack of cigarettes (mmmm...not PC, but mmm..) and I had to stop the process. Luckily, I got what I needed.

Ending:

Ropa Vieja with rice
Looks lame...tastes amazing.....


Vegan-ized Vanilla
Chai cupcakes



















Ropa Vieja recipe (from Epicurious.com): 


Ropa ViejaGourmet | January 1995
(Braised Beef, Peppers, and Onions)
Ropa vieja, or "old clothes," describes the shreds of meat, peppers, and onions resembling a mess of colorful rags. Robust stews such as this Cuban specialty are at the heart of West Indian cuisine.
Yield: Makes 8 servings
ingredients
For braising beef:
3 pounds skirt or flank steak, trimmed
2 quarts water
2 carrots, chopped coarse
1 large onion, chopped coarse
2 celery ribs, chopped coarse
1 bay leaf
3 garlic cloves, crushed lightly
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
2 green bell peppers, cut into 1/4-inch strips
1 red onion, cut into 1/4-inch strips
4 tablespoons olive oil
2 cups braising liquid plus additional if desired
a 14- to 16-ounce can whole tomatoes with juice, chopped
3 tablespoons tomato paste
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
2 red bell peppers, cut into 1/4 inch strips
2 yellow bell peppers, cut into 1/4 inch strips
1 cup frozen peas, thawed
1/2 cup pimiento-stuffed Spanish olive, drained and halved

preparation
To braise beef:

In a 5-quart kettle combine all braising ingredients and simmer, uncovered, 1 1/2 hours, or until beef is tender. Remove kettle from heat and cool meat in liquid 30 minutes. Transfer meat to a platter and cover. Strain braising liquid through a colander, pressing on solids, into a bowl. Return braising liquid to kettle and boil until reduced to 3 cups, about 30 minutes. Stew may be made up to this point 1 day ahead. Cool braising liquid completely and chill it and the beef separately, covered.
In kettle cook green bell peppers and onion in 2 tablespoons oil over moderate heat, stirring, until softened.
While vegetables are cooking, pull meat into shreds about 3 by 1/2 inches. To onion mixture add shredded meat, 2 cups braising liquid, tomatoes with juice, tomato paste, garlic, cumin, oregano, and salt and pepper to taste and simmer, uncovered, 20 minutes.
While stew is simmering, in a large skillet cook red and yellow bell peppers in remaining 2 tablespoons oil over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until softened. Stir peppers into stew with enough additional braising liquid to thin to desired consistency and simmer, uncovered, 5 minutes. Stir in peas and olives and simmer, uncovered, 5 minutes.

Vanilla Chai Cupcakes (from foodgawker.com; vegan-ized by me)
(Makes 12)
100g butter (.44 cups Earth Balance margarine)
1 cup caster sugar (sugar that is  food processed)
½ tsp vanilla bean paste (or extract)
2 eggs ( or 1.2 cup apple sauce)
½ quantity chai spice mix (recipe follows)
1 ¼ cups plain flour, sifted
½ cup buttermilk ( or 1/2 cup soymilk with 1tsp white vinegar)
½ tsp bicarb soda (otherwise known as baking soda)
½ tsp apple cider vinegar (white vinegar is fine)
Chai Spice Mix
1 ½ tsp ground cardamom
1 ½ tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp ground ginger
¼ tsp ground cloves
¼ tsp ground nutmeg
Mix spices together in a small bowl.
Vanilla Chai Buttercream
125g butter (1/2 cup Earth Balance margarine)
½ tsp vanilla bean paste (or extract)
3 cups icing sugar, sifted (i.e., confectioner's sugar)
½ quantity chai spice mix
1-2 tbs cold milk (or soy milk)
Preheat the oven to 160C (better to go with 350F)

Cream together the butter and sugar. Add the vanilla and beat in one egg at a time. Stir in half the quantity of chai spice mix. Fold in the flour and buttermilk alternately and stir until combined, don’t overmix. Mix together the bicarb soda and vinegar and mix into the batter.
Spoon into prepared cupcake cases and bake 15-20 or (20-25) minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.

To make the buttercream, beat the butter until it is creamy and very pale in colour. Stir in the vanilla and the rest of the chai spice mix. Slowly beat in the icing sugar about ½ cup at a time. If the buttercream is too thick add 1-2 tbs of cold milk until the desired consistency is reached. Pipe onto cooled cupcakes, sprinkle with cinnamon sugar and serve!



4 comments:

  1. Things I want to do:
    1. open a (pet friendly) coffee shop/bakery/art gallery/counseling center with my friend Ellen (and 4 of the best cohort-mates around).
    . . . can I bake doggie biscuits?. . .
    2. eat one of your cupcakes- or- let's say two (or three?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE IT! :~)

    Anything with the words "vegan" and "coda" in it is going to be a world wide success.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Ropa Vieja is DIVINE!!! I could eat it over and over again. It reminds me of home food, just like what my mama makes... Thanks for the recipies :-D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Estoy aprendiendo a cocinar asi que estas recetas me caen de perlas. Gracias por compartir. Un abrazo fuerte

    daniela

    ReplyDelete