Monday, August 16, 2010

Salted White Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies





The best stuff to ever enter my mouth, almost :-)

Today I made very non-vegan cookies with sea salt. Perfect combination to me.



































First of all, can someone tell me why butter, white sugar, brown sugar and flour combined is some of the tastiest stuff out there? (See Above). It is an orgasm in my mouth and I could have eaten the whole bowl. NOTE TO SELF: Do not make cookies right before dinner.




The mess begins
After the mess began, I had my first issue with trying to electrically mix cold butter with sugar. It doesn't work, the butter needs to be at least at room temp if not warmer, no I microwaved it.
(Melted butter on sugar)
Enter flour.
Enter egg

Salted dough balls
Enter white
chocolate chips

Final product = good.

Side dish for cookies:
 Costco flank steak
(cut funny, but not bad)

Crispy Salty Oatmeal White Chocolate Chip Cookies
Recipe adapted from Smitten Kitchen by Sweettooth Blog

1 cup all purpose flour
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
14 tbsp (1-3/4 sticks) unsalted butter
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
2-1/2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
6 oz good quality white chocolate
1/2 tsp sea salt

- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line baking sheet with parchment paper or a Silpat
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat butter and sugars until light and fluffy
- Add egg and vanilla, and beat until well incorporated
- Slowly add flour mixture with mixer speed on medium-low, until just incorporated
- With a spatula, mix in the oats and white chocolate
- Use a medium ice cream scoop or 2 tablespoons to form dough into about 24 balls. Place balls on cookie sheets about 2-1/2 inches apart, and gently press each down
- Sprinkle with a little sea salt
- Bake about 13 to 16 minutes, rotating sheets halfway through. Cookies should be deep golden brown

3 comments:

  1. Ellen, I made cookies with sea salt tonight too! but mine were dark chocolate chip with molasses with sea salt on top! must be a trend in cookie making. Oh, this is Steph, ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. NO WAY! Yeah...I was wondering who Mr./Ms. Anonymous was....
    You have to save a couple and bring them in next week...and we can compare and have a taste test.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a feeling you'd both be too attached to your cookies to be able to fairly assess their yumminess. Perhaps you should have an unbiased third party do the testing? You know, it would be a tough job, but I think I'd be up to the challenge. I might have to test each of the cookies multiple times in order to truly get a sense of the depth of their flavor. . . but for you two, I'd do it.

    ReplyDelete