Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Thesis defense. Check! Tuscan bean ragu. Check! (side note: YAY! to us Gays!)

Well, I made it. Although my stomach hurt really bad and I almost passed out from anxiety and stress, ....and despite a highly anxiety provoking series of events that many of you know about.... the thesis has been defended successfully. YAY!
Betsy and Steph decided that Cilantro's Asian cuisine was just the way to celebrate.
Well, I have never had sushi (lame, I know) because I do not eat seafood ( it just grosses me out), and so I ordered vegan sushi (avocado and cucumber rolls). Betsy then warned me that I might not like the seaweed.  I thought I would until I smelled and tasted the nasty ass fishy smell of seaweed. EW!
So I proceeded to eat my curry dish, which burned the hell out of my mouth. Food FAIL!

Much needed Stella (also my great-grandmother's name)
EW!
After a working on a borrrrrrrrrrrrrring presentation with my not-so-boring friend Betsy, I had a sleepy drive home and began my Tuscan bean ragu (see recipe below).
Aftermath
Scum
First, I boiled the pot full of Great Northern beans and water over, spilling it and smoking it on the stove-top (I always do this). My favorite moment came when I was instructed to occasionally remove the bean foam (aka scum) from the pot. 
Then I sauteed some tomato puree, onions celery etc, added beans, added cheese, baked some stuff and Woohoo! Tuscan bean ragu!

>>>>for the EX knife holder...buy at: http://www.amazon.com/5-Piece-Unique-Designed-Raffaele-Iannello/dp/B000KMAIHS


Recipe:
(From Epicurious.com)
Tuscan Beans in Summery Tomato Ragù Gourmet | May 2009
by Kay Chun

(Background: The "Ex" knife holder)
and the tomato puree
Yield: Makes 8 servings; Active Time: 45 min; Total Time: 1 3/4 hr

1 pounds dried cannellini or Great Northern beans, picked over and rinsed
2 pints grape tomatoes (about 1 pound)
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 celery rib, thinly sliced
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
3 thyme sprigs
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano

Accompaniment: crusty bread (or not)
I am so not kidding, these smelled like cornflakes,
milk and sliced bananas

Soak beans in water to cover by 2 inches overnight (8 hours) or quick-soak (see cooks’ note, below), then drain.
Cover beans with water by 2 inches in a 5-to 6-quart pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and briskly simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally and skimming foam, until beans are very tender, 40 to 50 minutes. Reserve 2 cups cooking water, then drain beans.
Halve 1 cup tomatoes lengthwise and set aside. Pulse remaining tomatoes in a food processor until almost smooth.
Preheat oven to 450°F with rack in middle.
Cook onion, celery, and garlic in oil and 1 tablespoon butter with 1/4 teaspoon each of salt and pepper in a 12-inch heavy skillet, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add tomato purée, thyme, sugar, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and reserved 2 cups bean-cooking water and simmer, stirring occasionally, until liquid is slightly thickened, about 10 minutes. Whisk in remaining tablespoon butter, then stir in beans.
Transfer to a 3-quart shallow baking dish. Sprinkle evenly with cheese, then scatter tomato halves over top. Bake, covered tightly with foil, until liquid is reduced and beans are saucy but not soupy, 25 to 30 minutes. Let stand, covered, 10 minutes before serving (beans will continue to absorb liquid).
done!









3 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about the food FAIL incident! Don't give up on sushi, it rocks my world... By the way, nice "Ex" knife holder. I'm sure I can find a place for it in my kitchen. Oh, and YAY THESIS!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Side note (as per stephanie's speech mannerisms): Your food journey compels me and reminds me how hungry I am, however I have never been one to think that "crusty" bread sounds appetizing. Crusty booger bread? fail.

    ReplyDelete